What should I do if I believe that my rights were violated by the police?

  • Always file a complaint first with the police department or internal affairs division.
  • You can also report the misconduct to the United States Department of Justice or the United States Attorney’s office.
  • After filing a police complaint, you can pursue other remedies by filing a lawsuit in Court against the police officer(s) involved and their respective department.